Monday, December 1, 2008

heaters, ants, cars and christmas cards

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving, we discovered that our heater was not blowing warm air. We were warm because all of the cooking and we built a fire. For the entire weekend we kept a fire going and did lots of laundry so that we could run the dryer. We had fun, but the chilly air has given Dallan and I a cold. My voice is so low that it is disgusting. I am not feminine at all! Thank goodness it is fixed now! Hopefully I will become a woman again before I have to sing at a wedding this Saturday.
Another wacky thing that happened this weekend was when we decorated for Christmas. We got out our huge bin of Christmas decorations only to find that many of our items were moldy and covered in ants. It was disgusting. We saved the things that we cared about and threw the rest away. The ants were in huge piles and looked like piles of dirt. It was strange. On the bright side, now we have an excuse to buy new things...and decide if we really need something. Our tree and ornaments are fine. The crafty things are in the garbage. The only things that we want/need to get are stockings and a tree skirt.
The Sunday before Thanksgiving, our second vehicle broke down. It is a long story, but basically the engine seized. The cost of fixing it is more than the car is worth, so we will just live with one car for a while. Thank goodness we had 2 cars. We will probably get a second vehicle with our income tax refund in March.
Many of you know that Clay got to work with the presidential dental team. He met President Bush on more than one occasion and has some gifts and pictures to show for it. Today he also got a special Christmas card from President Bush. It is very exciting for our family!
One more thing...tomorrow is our 13 year anniversary! We feel that it is an unlucky number so we will not be celebrating it. Obviously I am kidding-we will celebrate it on Friday!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your new background! Sounds like your weekend was quite an adventure! Sometimes I think that we are tested to see if we'll give "thanks" in all situations and not just the good ones! You have a great attitude and outlook!

Shelly Benson said...

Can't believe you're going to celebrate 13 years... sounds a little risky to me. What a bummer about your Christmas decorations... I wonder if there was an old piece of candy in there or something that attracted the ants. If you'd be willing to wait a week or so, I'd love to try to sew you guys some stockings (I'll probably be sewing some for us this year), but then you'd be subject to the material I pick out. Guess it might be cheaper just to buy them, but let me know what you think. Sorry about your car, and congrats to Clay on his presidential Christmas card. I wonder if he'll get a chance to work on President Obama. Interesting.

Robin said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe how fast those 13 years have flown!! This June will be 15 yrs for Shane and I...and my daughter will be 14! I'm too young for my kids to keep growing up! That's cool about Clay. So, is he a dentist? or is he still in the...Navy? Hope you're staying warm!

Audra Findlay said...

Sounds really exciting at your house!! I'm glad to hear that you have such a great attitude about everything also! Keep your head up.

Michelle Campbell said...

Wow, what a thanksgiving, huh? haha. You guys are so awesome! Ok, don't think I'm stupid, but i was wondering if you guys had moved yet? I can't remember. haha. I loved the videos!! I love seeing your whole family interacting. It's great! And I cannot get over how old Dallan looks. It's crazy! Will he be 12 in March? Yowser!! Hope you guys are doing ok and I too am so impressed with your good and funny attitude about everything.

Unknown said...

Hey Alli! I was wondering if I could have your mailing address so that I could send you a Christmas card! My email address is
cookiequeen6@cox.net
Thanks!

Allison said...

I don't remember if I answered some of these comments or not...here goes....
Robin-yes, Clay is still in the Navy and he is a dental technician. He is currently applying to dental school and we hope that he will get accepted somewhere for the 2009 school year. If he doesn't get accepted, we will keep applying.
Shelly, I doubt Clay would work with Pres. Obama unless he needs a crown made. And thanks for making us stockings...I can't wait to see them!
Michelle, We didn't move yet. Our house fell out of contract, so we have to start over. No big deal. The longer we can stay here, the better.
Jenn, I think I emailed you my address. Let me know if I didn't.
I love you all and appreciate your comments!