Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas with the Campbells

This Christmas has been out of the ordinary for our family. The week before Christmas the kids were sick and stayed home from school a few of the days. By the weekend before Christmas, we were all so sick and we hoped that we would feel better by Christmas. We had planned to see the lights at the temple, see the lights in DC including the national Christmas tree, and we also planned a day trip to New York to ice skate at Rockefeller plaza and see the Christmas tree. Unfortunately, we did not get better. We still enjoyed opening presents, but slept the rest of the day away. We spent the day after Christmas in the ER from 2:30pm to 10:30pm. Clay has resolving pneumonia and bronchitis, I have pneumonia, the kids have colds, and Ryan has conjunctivitis as well. We are just so happy to have the right medicine now and even though our house looks like a bomb went off in the living room and we all look and smell like death, we feel much better. We have high hopes of getting our sense of smell and sense of taste back so that we can have our Christmas dinner soon. It doesn't sound like a joyful time, but we are happy and will never forget this Christmas.
I didn't take any pictures (only video), but I assure you, we all got some wonderful things and were very excited. Not being able to do everything that I had planned was a blessing in disguise. I was forced to think about what things are needful and what things just take up time. I certainly wouldn't choose to be sick every year, but next year, I am going to cut out the "traditions" that are too commercial.

5 comments:

Audra Findlay said...

Sounds good. Hope you guys get to feeling better. It's no good being sick, I don't care what time of year it is!

becbloggin said...

dang it al! i hate when i hear what a stuggle you've had and we were unaware...so glad you are better and sorry for all you went through-but grateful for the things you learned and shared! we love and miss you each so much. hope your hospital service was better than any here :)hope you all get completely well soon-what an experience!!

Michelle Campbell said...

Oh man. I feel bad for you guys! You have such a good attitude about it all. It is kinda nice to not worry about anything much and just relax and sleep. haha. My mom was saying that same thing. Christmas day she spent alone (my dad worked, others were sick or busy with other family) and she said she loved it! haha. Funny, huh? After she told me about her day of quiet and getting stuff done and than relaxing... I was a little jealous. haha. I miss you guys and wish we were all together for christmas, but I'm glad that despite being sick you guys were happy! Luv you Luv you Luv you!!

Ashley said...

It stinks to be sick on Christmas! Sounds like you guys had good attitudes about it though. Hope you are feeling better and will soon be enjoying your Christmas dinner!

Shelly Benson said...

Wow, I haven't got around to checking blogs in a while. I hope you guys are feeling better by now!